kentuckyfriedcruelty.com

Sunday 28 June 2009

Challenge




It's time to get serious. I have set myself a challenge that I am going to try my hardest to stick to. The premise is quite simple, bankroll management.

PKR are doing a reload bonus, up to $600. So I thought I would take advantage of this and deposit the full $600. I need to earn something like 150,000 points to clear it but I will get this eventually and I have a couple of months to do it.

So anyway, here's the plan. Play NO HIGHER than $50NL. OK I know starting with 12 buy ins is not the best bankroll management but I'm confident at this level especially at $50NL. So, as a rough plan, play $50NL until I reach $1600, then withdraw the $600 I originally deposited. Continue at this level until I reach $3000 (lol) then move up to $100 and move back down again if I fall below $2000. Further withdrawals might come into it but I'll think more about that later. Getting rich quick is just gonna have to wait, it's all about the grind!

I know this sounds a little optimistic, but I neeeeeeeeeed to try this for my own sanity and to prove that I can win in the long term. It's gonna be hard not to tilt but of course it wouldn't be a challenge if it wasn't hard would it?

So here goes, $50NL for ages probably! I hope to be able to move up to $100NL by Christmas. Rakeback and the $600 bonus should obviously help a lot. I will play 2 rooms max because my computer has enough trouble dealing with that anyway. As for tournaments, as a general rule play no higher then $20 games I guess, but there might be some good value higher ones every now and then, I will have to see.

A little example of some of the players on PKR at this level. I raise KK pre to $3 on a loose table and get 2 callers, flop is 653 with two hearts and I overbet the $9 pot with an $11 bet or something, get one caller, turn is another 6 and I put the guy all in, he insta calls with A5o and I river the K anyway, lol.

So anyway, here goes, I really hope I can do this!

So far...

Thursday +$114
Friday +$47

Bankroll - $761

7 comments:

would-be said...

gl with the project

Ironmonk said...

ty mate, knowing me, I'm gonna need it.

mushyjim said...

Good luck mate, you need to learn to enjoy the grind or this will never work, its not so much about making money (although obviously that is nice) as showing that you can do it and have enough self-control. Good luck!

Ironmonk said...

Thanks mate. So far I am really enjoying it actually!

Tom said...

I think you can do it mate, just keep your goals in mind.

Have you thought about dropping even further down to $25NL just for the first few months - I just think if you lose 4-5 buy ins at 50NL your bankroll might not take it and you'll be tempted to deposit and move up levels to win it back. Also, have you thought about getting poker tracker or holdem manager? It's only $80 or something and would be good to graph all your weeks progress! Take it down mate, it's gonna be well rewarding when you destroy each level. (Plus it will fund vegas for you!)

Ironmonk said...

Cheers, I have considered hold em manager and stuff. But Jack gave me poker tracker once and it just confused the hell out of me. Maybe I should be playing $25NL but the roll is now $900 and with rakeback on the way that should take me way over $1000. A 20 buy in roll should be sufficient, if I drop below $500 I'll move down, but I'm confident in the fish paying me off.

I really wanna make this work, and I'm enjoying it so far although I haven't played that much.

mushyjim said...

Hold em manager and PT dont yet work with PKR so i'd wait a bit.

Good work getting to $900.

I just had my first losing session on PKR, not nice. I re-raise to 20BB pre-flop with AcKc and get called. Flop Jc-9-9c. We get it all-in and he has J9. Annoying. With PKR you know it's coming back though!