kentuckyfriedcruelty.com

Wednesday 6 February 2008

$2/$5 and £2/£5

In my last entry I posted a hand history of a +$1000 pot that I won. I had built up to $1700 at peak from a $200 starting stack in that room. Enough to have made back all that I had deposited from my overdraft and a decent chunk back into the £550 I lost prior to that. But did I leave though? No I didn't, and I proceeded to tilt and get outplayed and outdrawn until it was all gone, and then another $200, then another $200, then finally the last $135 dollars that I had in my bank, which meant my account was at -£1000 and maxed out. I couldn't believe I had tilted off so much money in such a short space of time. In one hand I called a $300 river bet with just AK high only to find that the guy had rivered a straight holding JQ, I was ahead the whole way with AK and went with my read that he was trying to outplay me on the flop but in hindsight it was a stupid call and testimony to why I should have left the room when I started to play bad. (I had been playing for about 4 hours and concentration obviously waning).

£660 of that £1K overdraft had gone to poker and the rest on buying stuff, and paying for my car which died on me again. I had to join Green Flag, pay them to come out etc. Needless to say on Sunday evening I was feeling mega depressed and empty, with no money left in my bank to play with and knowing I wouldn't be able to play again until i could borrow some cash, and playing again was all I could think about. I didn't have to wait long however, the very next day I had booked off work which was a lucky coincidence because I needed to get my car seen to that day and would have had no way of getting there anyway because my Mum and step Dad are away. I borrowed £180 from a mate which I put straight into my bank so that i could deposit it later, and a further £180 from my Dad which I kept in cash for petrol, food and general stuff to last me till I get paid next Friday. When I got home I arranged for my car to be towed to the garage then got to playing. I deposited £150 and sat in one room of £0.50/£1 with £50, leaving after about an hour roughly £83 up. Had something to eat and came back and again sat in a £0.50/£1 room with £50 and left the room this time about £140 up, I was playing well and quitting whilst ahead and it felt good. I withdrew my profit both times so £222 was going into my account leaving me with the £150 still to play with.

Later that night however, I proceeded to lose that £150, then the £30 I had left in my bank shortstacking £1/£2 and playing far too loose, impatiently and shite. So my profit for the day was only about £40, better than nothing but it meant I had nothing to play with until that £222 cleared! Had to hit the sack then which was a good idea seeing as how it was about 2am. Checked my bank the next day and somehow it said I had £318 available to me which often happens when previous transactions temporarily go back into my bank allowing me to spend it, but not actually having the money - not good. When I got home I therefore resisted the urge to deposit the lot and instead put £222 in because I knew that was money I had going in anyway so I wouldn't be charged or anything. Just like Sunday, I started the $2/$5 10 seater table going again by being the first to sit in. I quickly lost $60 and stopped playing.

I went back on at about 12:30am to discover the $2/$5 table still going strong and with one free seat. Naturally I filled it. I sat with $200 there and whilst I was playing I was looking for another room to sit with the final £100 I had in my account. I finally noticed that the £2/£5 10 seater table was running which is a rarity on crypto so I thought fuck it and sat in the last empty seat with £100, the min buy in. Not long into the game I got dealt A6s in mid position, being far too much of an impatient fish I found myself making it £15 to go. I got one caller behind me and checked the A high flop with 1 spade. He bet £15 which I called, turn was the 9 of spades and I checked with the intention of check raising all in with my nut flush draw, whatever he bet. He bet £75 however and I only had £77 so my raise didn't exactly give him much of a decision although he took forever to call I thought he was bluffing. When he did eventually call however he had AQ and I lucked out hitting a spade as one of my 12 outs. The very next hand I got dealt AA in early position and made it £25 to go hoping someone would see it as me being gusto after having just doubled up. Too my delight someone re raised to £80 and the person next to him called! Now I didn't wanna get clever here so I timed for a bit before pushing all in. The re-raiser thought for ages before making the call and the other guy folds, I'm up against, you guessed it - AK and my aces rightfully hold and now I am sitting on a £520 stack in just 2 hands.

I carried on playing in both rooms before cashing out at about 1:15am with £650ish and $375ish respectively. I wanted to bank a win. In just 45 minutes I had made about £650, more than half a months wages! Its times like this that get me wishing that I had the roll to play these levels properly, but where am I gonna get £40,000 from? I could realistically see myself winning £500-£1000 a day at £2/£5 playing standard tight ABC poker without putting too many hours in. This is what I earn in a month at work of a boring 9-5 slog. If only I could get my hands on a bankroll instead of taking these wild stabs and losing money that I need then winning it back later! I still have about £560 more to win to make me 'even' from before I had the bad -£550 weekend. I withdrew £728 last night leaving myself with a £100 bankroll to work with. I haven't felt the need to play since that win, it has left me feeling somehow satisfied and has quenched my thirst to make some money back quickly; finally I can relax and work on building that £40K roll, £0.03/£0.06 anyone?

Edit: Just got back from seeing Cloverfield and it was awesome!

No comments: