kentuckyfriedcruelty.com

Monday 18 August 2008

A bit of success...

Currently I am being more sensible and have stuck to playing tournaments when I do play. The Pokerstars WCOOP is running next month and I am using their S&G step system to try and qualify for some events. So far I have managed to qualify for Event #6 - a $530 buy in, 2-day event with a $3,000,000 guaranteed prize pool! Playing a 2 day event is going to be pretty hardcore, assuming I make day 2 of course, the event will probably have shit loads of runners but it will be fun to give it a shot anyway.

The steps satellites run in 6 levels, levels 1-3 are turbo and 4-6 are standard. Level 1 is just $7.50 to enter. At level 4 you can choose the level 5 satellite or a satellite to a smaller buy in WCOOP event which is what I did to qualify for the $530 tourney. There is a $1000 buy in event that I am going to try for; this is an 18 man level 4 satellite, and of course the main event, which is the level 6 sat. The main event ticket is worth $5200 so to reach this would be quite an achievement, to fall at the last hurdle though (ie. level 6) would be pretty demoralising as it takes quite some effort to get there.

I'm really pleased that I have qualified for at least one event though, and for just $7.50 too. I played so damn tight in the last sat and when we were 4 handed (top 3 get a seat, 4th gets about $215) I even folded AK to a standard raise cos I was coming 4th and I couldn't take another sick outdraw on Pokerstars - that's if I even did have the best hand. This is fine though as satellites are all about survival, I think it's the correct play. My patience was rewarded in the end, I hope I can repeat this for some more big events!

7 comments:

Tom said...

Nice one mate, I reckon tourney's are your best bet. Why not instead of going to the $5200 and $1000 seats play more of the smaller events? A cheeky dabble at the $215Omaha perhaps eh?!

Tom said...

p.s or just don't listen to me you can do what the hell you want with your money!

Ironmonk said...

hey mate no way I welcome all suggestions! I'm not exactly an omaha expert but I would love to give it a go. As far as smaller seats go, they will obviously have more runners which is the main disadvantage. I'm just gonna go for as many as I can though really, to play a $5000 tourney would be so good though!

Tom said...

I was just thinking that do you really want to pay £2500 for an online poker tourney when knowing your luck you'll probably get over-setted in the first level...
I reckon try the $215 and $320 games!

Ironmonk said...

So do you mean qualify for the tournament, then use those $5000 worth of tournament dollars for other tournaments? Cos I'm gonna go for both big ones and smaller ones!

Ironmonk said...

Ah just noticed it says that WCOOP Step 4 tickets can be used to register for WCOOP events with a $215 buy in, I should be able to make a couple of these!

Tom said...

Yeah mate, that's what I mean. Don't wanna see you blow $5k on one tourney! How's the satalites going though mate, won any more tickets?!